San Carlo History
San Carlo is a not-for-profit organization governed by a Board of Directors.
The Scalabrinian Fathers arrived in Australia in November 1952. The history of their presence in this country reflects the development of the Italian community in Australia. Their role has evolved and developed to meet the needs of the Italian community, and in the mid-1960s they began their involvement with aged care in Australia.
San Carlo Homes for the Aged began its development in the mid-1970s, and the first stage of the complex was opened in 1979. Since then, it has expanded to include 5 dementia care units plus 24 high-care beds and a 44-bed Hostel.
In 2010, the Scalabrinian Congregation transferred the ownership of bed licenses to San Carlo Homes for the Aged Ltd (San Carlo). San Carlo remains a not-for-profit organisation governed by a Board of Directors including the Provincial from the Missionaries of St Charles (Scalabrinian Fathers).
The work at San Carlo continues to meet the needs of our Aged Italian Community and does so with the support of the Missionary Sisters of St Anthony Mary Claret (Claretian Sisters).